I admit it. I’m a cold weather exercise weenie! I love to get out and walk or hike, but I loathe exercising in the frigid cold. Of course, I also hate exercising in sweltering heat. That’s a dilemma for another day, another season.
Now that winter is fast approaching and the morning and evening air is noticeably cooler, it’s a little more difficult to enjoy those early morning hikes or late evening brisk walks. But it’s important to plow on through and stay in shape, especially as we load on the holiday calories and fat grams.
So, with a little levity and lightness of heart, I thought I’d provide you with a winter weather calorie burning guide today. You have choices, my dear. You can go for your usual walk or run, or you can frolic in the snow…sort of.
Here’s the low down for calories burned in 45 minutes of activity by an average (150 lb.) woman (give or take a little depending on your size):
- Chopping Wood = 310 calories burned
- Playing Frisbee = 155 calories burned
- Ice Hockey (you go girl!) = 411 calories burned
- Housework inside where it’s toasty warm = 148 calories burned
- Jogging = 357 calories burned
- Packing a suitcase to go somewhere warmer = 108 calories burned
- Shoveling Snow = 310 calories burned
- Ice Skating for fun, not speed = 360 calories burned
- Cross-Country Skiing = 580 calories burned!!!
- Downhill Skiing = 445 (surely you burn more when you fall a lot!)
- Sledding/Tobogganing = 351 calories burned
Remember, our bodies are not our own; they are the Lord’s temple, His residing place. Let’s commit to staying fit and fabulous for Him!
How do you work in your exercise in the colder months? Do you stay inside with a DVD or a class at the gym? Or do you brave the cold and the precipitation?