I’m being followed. In fact, it’s been going on quite a while. Every where I go, every turn I take, they are following me.
Who’s tracking me? Well look behind you. They’re on your heals, too.
- In the days of my childhood when God was so good to give me such a warm, loving, and safe home.
- In my teen years when my parents showed me such mercy in light of my disrespect, my back-talking, my stubbornness, my arrogance.
- In the many times I diverted from the straight and narrow and ventured into the wilderness. When I found merciful directions on how to return to a place of grace.
- In God’s good provision of a godly husband, healthy children, loving friends, and wise mentors.
- In the merciful redemption of this sinner, saved by grace.
- In the goodness shown to us by the churches we have served over the years.
- In the mercy that has flooded my heart, eventually, when I’ve been hurt, betrayed, left behind, or wounded.
- In God’s merciful and faithful redemption of all that I squandered in different times in my life.
- In the goodness of a beautiful day, a gentle rain, an enjoyable hike, a fun family vacation, a much needed pay raise, a sweet note of encouragement, a hand to hold mine.
In all the days of my life, my God has shown me mercy and goodness. And indeed, these two constant companions have shown themselves most visibly in the reflection of my rear view mirror. That’s why today I’m taking the time to look behind me and acknowledge their hot and determined pursuit of me. I’m looking them square in the eye and telling them that I am completely aware that they are following me.
And I know Who sent them too.