- Fresh flowers are always a nice touch. And they don’t have to be expensive. I bought a bouquet of fresh daisies at the grocery store on Monday for my Tuesday breakfast party. They were just $5.99 and I managed to spread them out over one large arrangement (with silk greenery) and 5 place setting arrangements. Of course, I love cutting fresh roses from my own rose garden as well. You don’t have to be a master flower arranger to make a pleasing bouquet of flowers. God has already made them beautiful; you just have to display the beauty.
- Set the table! I know it’s just your family, and they don’t seem to care if they eat off paper plates or even fast food wrappers, but like I said, beauty speaks even when we’re not necessarily tuned into it. I don’t always set my table this nicely, but I should. My family deserves it and I do too. And this little table arrangement took all of 5 minutes. Well worth it. I’m also a firm believer in cloth napkins. They’re my meager effort at going green!
- Light a candle and make things smell nice. I think we feel like things are really beautiful and lovely when all our senses are engaged in something pleasant.
- Decorate with what you have. We have three avid readers at our home so we have lots of books. I think books make nice decorations when stacked in different places in your home. You can stack them with coordinating colors or themes.
- Turn on some nice music. While I love the “sounds of family” – conversation, rock music blaring from behind closed doors, children’s laughter, the muted voices from the television, the hum of the washer and dryer, the swish of the dishwasher, dogs playing, etc. – beautiful music is what sings to my soul. Praise songs, soft jazz, love songs, and classical music are my favorites, but I try others things every now and then too. I actually have an Italian bistro CD that I pull out occasionally when we eat Italian food. My family groans when they first sit down to their spaghetti and hear it playing, but I know they love it…at least I tell myself they do!
- Use color. God’s creation is full of color. Even here in the desert southwest, God has painted a beautiful picture of His peace, His love, and His gentleness with the soft, muted tones. If you can’t afford anything else to add beauty to a room, you can probably afford a bucket or two of paint. And if you don’t like it once it’s on the walls, you can easily paint over it. I think paint – beautiful, bold color – is a miracle worker!
So now it’s your turn. What do you do in your home to create a little beauty? I really want to know!
And one more thing. The book I quoted earlier by Georg Andersen is a lovely home decorator book by a Christian and for Christians. I gave you a link to get it on Amazon if you’re interested.
Have a beautiful day!