These are a few of my favorite things….
This weekend, in honor of my fast approaching 50th birthday, I give you 50 of my favorite things. You know, just things: moments, fragrances, sights, sounds, tastes, experiences. Just 50 golden things that have made my life sweet and joyful.
For all of these things, I am ultimately thankful to my precious Lord, who showers me (and you) with more blessings than we ever actually even take notice of. But as the years have gone by, I have indeed become much more grateful and aware of the little moments, the small things.
As usual, these are in no particular order, just the way they struck my fancy!
- Restaurant coffee with real cream…and Splenda.
- The smell of freshly mowed grass on a Spring day.
- My daughter Abigail’s beautiful smile.
|photo credit: Hannah Whaley|
- A sweet, unexpected card in the mail from a friend.
- My husband James’ laughter when we get to being silly together.
- Any meal prepared by my Mother, especially one served in her home.
- A beautiful Arizona sunrise, followed hours later by an equally lovely sunset…all pinks, purples, blues, and oranges!
- Going out for breakfast.
- Running with my friend Kim, especially on the Oregon coast!
|We were actually hiking here, but we did run the next day 🙂|
- Having tea or lunch with my lifelong friend Michelle.
|Michelle and I at a UGA game. That’s fun too!|
- The newsy Birthday Card I receive every year from my friend Candy.
- Riding in the car while my Daddy drives. I always feel the very safest when I’m with my Daddy 🙂
- Listening to my son Daniel talk…about anything that is important or interesting to him.
- A room decorated tastefully in reds, goldenrod, green and a little blue.
- Being done with the dentist for 6 more months!
- My quiet time with God each morning.
- My Bible, given to me by my Precept Bible study class in Bowdon, Georgia, twenty-one years ago, filled with notes and markings which journal my walk with the Lord.
- The sad feeling you get when you finish an especially good book.
- Getting comments on my blog…hint, hint!
- Jane Austen books and movies.
- Road trip!!
- Meeting women who minister to women as I go new places for speaking engagements.
|Kim and I with Amy Speck at Emmanuel Bible Church in Simcoe, Ontario, Canada|
- A grilled cheese sandwich and Campbell’s tomato soup.
- Rooting on the Arizona Wildcats basketball team with my family!
- A clean house.
- A warm shower after a sweaty workout or hike.
- Hearing my husband preach.
- Just spending time with a sweet friend.
- Hearing other peoples’ stories, especially their journeys with the Lord.
- A really good birthday/wedding cake with white buttercream icing. Oh. My. Word!
- The sound of children laughing and playing happily.
- Watching a really good chick flick with a Diet Coke, popcorn and a box of raisinets, and someone I love.
- A beautifully wrapped package…especially one with something wonderful inside!
- Shopping with money in my purse 🙂
- Cooking a new recipe that turns out well.
- The moment I walk away from my desk after just finishing and turning in a work assignment.
- Thursdays…except this Thursday, because I was (am) sick all day.
- When you try on a garment in the fitting room and it fits surprisingly well and looks really good.
- When my daughter calls or answers the phone and has that sweet lilt in her voice. LOVE that!
- Seeing my daughter on stage.
- Worshiping Jesus along with my church family on Sunday mornings. So sweet!
- Playing board games with my son, even virtually. (It’s your turn, Daniel!)
- Good chips and salsa. (Not too hot, thank you very much!)
- The moment when you feel like someone else really “gets you.”
- Seeing an email in my inbox inviting me to speak somewhere. Thrilling!
- Answered prayers.
- Seeing a shooting star cross the night sky.
- Hearing Michelle play her flute, hearing Candy play her French horn, or hearing Kim sing. What does it mean that all three of my very dearest friends have music degrees?
- Laying my head down and closing my eyes after an especially satisfying day, reflecting on the sweetness of it all.